With so many new faces joining Literacy Untangled, I wanted to reintroduce myself. I’m Jennie the woman behind the curtain!
While my primary life ambition is to own a house on the water with a deep-water pier for my boat and play in the sand and water all day; I keep busy running Literacy Untangled in the meantime. You can find me tackling all sorts of tasks behind the scenes – teaching students, running our social media, attending workshops and keeping updated on the latest research, to name a few.
I grew up in CT and during my junior year of high school was an exchange student to New Zealand. I LOVE New Zealand!! Eventually, I relocated to MD for about 10 years before an unplanned moved found me here in SW Florida. Florida sure is a BIG change for this New England girl!
I started Literacy Untangled a little over a year ago after I left teaching in the private and public school systems in MD. While in MD, I taught English and reading in self-contained special education classrooms at both the middle school and high school levels. Middle schoolers are a wild, wild bunch – major props to career middle school teachers!!
Here are a few more fun, fast facts about me:
- I was a competitive rower, starting in high school, for over 10 years. Along with competing, I coached for 20+ years. It’s been a defining love/hate relationship most of my life – I HATE early mornings, but I LOVE anytime I get to spend on the water!
- I was on a tour of Russia (then Soviet Union) with my grandparents in May of 1987. We left Moscow a day before the German teenager landed his plane in the middle of Red Square. We didn’t see or hear a single word about this international incident until we arrived in Finland 5 days later!
- While living in New Zealand, I became fascinated with different cultures – NZ was a world of chip shops on every corner, school lead tramps into the wilderness, and “strange” sports (netball, cricket, rugby) – my eyes were opened! I parlayed that interest into a BA in Anthropology.
- My beloved first car was a ’69 Volkswagen Beetle. My Dad and I gave the inside a makeover with fresh vinyl seat covers (nothing like the back of your legs sticking to vinyl on a hot summer day…) and then I had it painted a metallic blue (to say it stood out in our small NE town would be a massive understatement). I still miss her…
- Haribo Gummy Bears are the ONLY acceptable gummy bears in my universe!!!
I’m so glad you join me on this journey and thank you for being part of the Literacy Untangled Family!